There are many different types of social network with many other variations appearing almost daily as the web changes and new uses are discovered and invented.
In this course we will divide the different types of social networking sites into six main areas. These are
- Blogging Sites (e.g. WordPress)
- Social Community Sites (e.g. FaceBook)
- Instant Communication Tools and Software (e.g. Windows Live Messenger)
- Collaboration Sites (e.g. Wikis)
- Social Content Sites (e.g. Flickr)
- Virtual World Sites (e.g. Second Life)